PURE FRIENDLY

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Smiiles
In-game name: Smiles Shadow
Guild: Cave of the Enduring [Y트트T]

Re: PURE FRIENDLY

Post by Smiiles »

"Alot of speedrunners are using Auto splitters which are perfectly authorized in the speedrun community"

Yeah there is a way to do it, but I don't know how to set it up. I'm also not sure how it knows the auto splits especially for those that also do speedruns on console especially the old ones. But these autosplits are frame perfect and if someone knows how to setup this up for Guild Wars; please do tell.

BackTwoBaySix
In-game name: Back Two Bay Six
Guild: Aria

Post by BackTwoBaySix »

This isn't gonna be allowed in explorable area tho right? Pretty much doesn't matter what you do in outpost because thats not part of the run, and if it isn't visible in the run then it changes nothing. If its available in explorable area (which I don't think is what James meant since since he said past runs? not sure about nina) then that would be too OP imo. Pure is about playing the game in the most cancer way possible and this makes it way too convenient if its in explorable

keaz
Guild: [SenT]

Post by keaz »

BayTwoBaySix3 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:39 am
This isn't gonna be allowed in explorable area tho right? Pretty much doesn't matter what you do in outpost because thats not part of the run, and if it isn't visible in the run then it changes nothing. If its available in explorable area (which I don't think is what James meant since since he said past runs? not sure about nina) then that would be too OP imo. Pure is about playing the game in the most cancer way possible and this makes it way too convenient if its in explorable
Why not? Pure shouldnt be "playing the game the most cancer way possible", its just the thing that is opposed to the biggest joke of this community which is TAS, making pure a bit more convenient by adding the standard basic speedrunning tools of every other games which are timer+autosplitter (and nothing more) is what should've been done since the beginning and is definitely the way to go in my opinion
Last edited by keaz on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

keaz

Post by keaz »

/delete this/

Smiiles
In-game name: Smiles Shadow
Guild: Cave of the Enduring [Y트트T]

Post by Smiiles »

I stopped watching this video after the first 30 seconds. I feel he said enough to make this not worthy of making an auto splitter used for PURE runs. But you guys have your own take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLSUKhvSrg

keaz

Post by keaz »

Smiiles wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 am
I stopped watching this video after the first 30 seconds. I feel he said enough to make this not worthy of making an auto splitter used for PURE runs. But you guys have your own take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLSUKhvSrg
how do you think instance timer (which is considered pure) is made? ofc course you need a little bit of "hacking" to get any informations from the game yet it doesnt mean hacking to get instance timer/objective timer deserves to be seen the same way as hacking to be able to teleport on minipets etc... I've always considered a hierarchy in the "hacks" used in gw speedruns, and for me instance and objective timer are placed at a very low position in it, atleast low enough to be in a different category than TAS

BackTwoBaySix
In-game name: Back Two Bay Six
Guild: Aria

Post by BackTwoBaySix »

keaz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:52 am
BayTwoBaySix3 wrote:
Why not?
It gives you WAY too much information at your fingertips about the state of a run which would normally would not be possible or in such an accessible format. In area with split parties (uw/fow/doa) it turns from a tool that gives you historical information on a run (outpost only) and instead gives you information about what is and what will happen.

Where do you draw the line on this if it isn't simple? Are we going to see soul timers in UW? Pcon timers? The current objective timer is not limited to something as simple as quest completions (if it were to be defined as such to allow this) afaik and is quite advanced for doa. I'm not suggesting the same players asking for objective timers are the same people who would abuse it, but I would.

There's also a seperate element which has not been considered which is the availability of such a tool. Who is going to be responsible for maintaining such a tool to ensure it always works through headers changes, Flo? No. Jon? No. Are all SC players capable/willing of fixing and compiling a tool? No. If they don't they are playing at a disadvantage. We've seen this play out already even with the simple instance timer.

keaz

Post by keaz »

BayTwoBaySix3 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:41 pm
keaz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:52 am
BayTwoBaySix3 wrote:
Why not?
It gives you WAY too much information at your fingertips about the state of a run which would normally would not be possible or in such an accessible format. In area with split parties (uw/fow/doa) it turns from a tool that gives you historical information on a run (outpost only) and instead gives you information about what is and what will happen.

Where do you draw the line on this if it isn't simple? Are we going to see soul timers in UW? Pcon timers? The current objective timer is not limited to something as simple as quest completions (if it were to be defined as such to allow this) afaik and is quite advanced for doa. I'm not suggesting the same players asking for objective timers are the same people who would abuse it, but I would.

There's also a seperate element which has not been considered which is the availability of such a tool. Who is going to be responsible for maintaining such a tool to ensure it always works through headers changes, Flo? No. Jon? No. Are all SC players capable/willing of fixing and compiling a tool? No. If they don't they are playing at a disadvantage. We've seen this play out already even with the simple instance timer.
The OP and I when saying "objective timer" are meaning the one with only quest time completions, thats where we draw the line and thats what is mainly used for splits in speedrun, I dont see this as "WAY too much information" to have in the run since you'll most likely not slow down your paste for any reason during a speedrun, but more like a convenient thing to have during a run or even at the outpost. As for the maintenance aspect of the tool, lets consider that issue later if the community first approves this?

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

i voted no on any sort of timer, but now that the vote has passed im in favor of timers that allow you to see splits, whether during the run or after the run. the point is to be able to see what your splits are without having to dig thru 2 hours worth of OBS footage.

also i feel like having an auto age would be useful. anything that helps accurately time the run should be allowed, even in pure. i dont think having /age be a part of the challenge of pure is even fair. people dont require the timing of speedruns of other games to be based on when you hit the split button, its when you actually complete the reqs of the run.

also we should create a category for people to be able to use simple things like the timer and auto pcons. i think a good name would be STANDRD. what do you guys think

Cruz
In-game name: Ashei Cruz
Guild: IT

Post by Cruz »

I agree with everyone.