Defining "coindrop"

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Flo
In-game name: Hi Im Undercover
Guild: Golt

Defining "coindrop"

Post by Flo »

Currently "coindrop" in the original sense is de-facto banned from records, even though this ruling was only made explicit for PURE and STANDARD records in the past. Even before the initial 2017 vote where some guidelines were set for the STANDARD category, coindrop were virtually globally banned, with (to my knowledge) only one record ever making it to the tables. Since it has been fixed a couple of years ago, this has not been too much of a concern. Spawning an agent (dropping a coin) caused enemy AI to target it for a moment, which led to enemies doing nothing if enough coins were dropped in a short enough timeframe.

Recently there have been some usecases where players want to drop coins repeatedly, but not with the goal (or the ability, since the fix) to mess up enemy AI. The same thing could be achieved by just using fortune cookies (dropping sparklers and whatever), but this is of course much more expensive.

Therefore I suggest changing the ruling regarding coindrop by explicitely defining coindrop as "Repeatedly dropping items to influence enemy AI." This phrasing will be consistent with the ruling so far, and allow for other usecases of dropping coins and other items repeatedly.

If you have any concerns, please speak up in this thread within the next week.

Sylars
In-game name: Musical Was Dub
Guild: [DS]

Re: Defining "coindrop"

Post by Sylars »

Dropping coins and other items still only serves the purpose of messing with enemy AI, it just no longer (almost) entirely disables it.

BackTwoBaySix
In-game name: Back Two Bay Six
Guild: Aria

Post by BackTwoBaySix »

Thats not the only purpose

Flo

Post by Flo »

Sylars wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:54 am
Dropping coins and other items still only serves the purpose of messing with enemy AI, it just no longer (almost) entirely disables it.
That implies you think dropping coins/items still influences enemy AI. Please elaborate.

Sylars

Post by Sylars »

I know you're not an underworld player but I expected this to be a thing in DoA too. You can unglitch buggy enemies (the third of a group) by applying degeneration (health or energy) to one of the two attacking ones and spawning a new agent such as a dropped coin, item or a ghost in the box.

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

Sylars wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 am
I know you're not an underworld player but I expected this to be a thing in DoA too. You can unglitch buggy enemies (the third of a group) by applying degeneration (health or energy) to one of the two attacking ones and spawning a new agent such as a dropped coin, item or a ghost in the box.
you can raise the agent id's of mobs that duplicate by spamming coins before they finish casting a dupe, and by whatever amount of coins dropped, is however much the agent id is raised for the next duped mob.

this can be useful in solo/duo/trio/4man for anything that requires duping. as you could drop coins before certain mobs from cave spawn so that they have a lower chance of hitting the proc for duping roulette

Flo

Post by Flo »

Sylars wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 am
Of course, I am aware. But that is about dropping any item/agent at all for (usually) exactly 1 time, which has always been allowed. The issue in the past related to completely breaking enemy AI where you would constantly drop coins (which lead to the name "coindrop") is what should imo be redefined to allow the usecases Ether and Bay6 described.

Any concerns in that regard?

Sylars

Post by Sylars »

My only concern is that it should've never been classified as TAS if done manually.

Flo

Post by Flo »

Since there were no concerns to allow coindrop under the definition mentioned above, you can use this now in a run. Old records that abused the repeated dropping of items or spawning of agents to prevent enemies from using abilities at all are still banned.

I added this to the role thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2004