second-based records

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Anca
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 7:31 am
In-game name: Anca Anderwic
Guild: GoT

Re: second-based records

Post by Anca »

Maybe because i'm an outsider of this community too, i agree with B2B6, and with the idea of Misty that we can have separate tables for the two records. Obviously, for now, the speedrun is "doomed to die", because, well, you just can't do 4min fow or 9min uw.
I think that sylars is right : it is possible to time the run by the first frame of the loading screen.
So for me its +1 for a new table with second-based records. i think its the only way to attract new people into speedrunning.

Misty
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 am
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Re: second-based records

Post by Misty »

Sylars wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 am
Not to mention that all recent records could be timed. We have videos as a requirement anyway, there's not a single record on the current leaderboards except for pre-dhuum uw that doesn't have video proof, so no time will be lost. There isn't even a point in having two record tables.
That's not true for all TAS records. Unless the fastest loader provided a video, we're reliant on trusting a third party instance timer (which might not even appear in the video).
The main reason I propose 2 tables is to placate the traditionalists who don't want to lose the minute-based records. Apparently this isn't enough, for some reason...
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

Sylars
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 am
In-game name: Musical Was Dub
Guild: [DS]

Re: second-based records

Post by Sylars »

As long as there is one video from scrolling to completion or an instance timer that's enough. Unless you want to count from first load to completion, which was already argued to be stupid before. Especially in TAS records. And I mean I didn't go through every single record, but I would be surprised if any of the non-dungeony records couldn't be translated into minute:seconds format.

The idea of having two record tables because some people can't bear the idea of being beaten is ridiculous. Do you see separate minute tables for SM64, Pokemon, Zelda, or other games? No.

What would that be good for, anyway? To show you were the first to reach a milestone?

Misty
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 am
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Re: second-based records

Post by Misty »

Sylars wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:12 am
The idea of having two record tables because some people can't bear the idea of being beaten is ridiculous. Do you see separate minute tables for SM64, Pokemon, Zelda, or other games? No.

What would that be good for, anyway? To show you were the first to reach a milestone?
I agree, but the main opposition to this seems to be because some people would burst into tears if their minute-based records were removed. Leaving that table up would be fine (even if we consider it meaningless), so long as we can have the one we care about.
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

BayTwoBaySix2
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm
In-game name: Back Two Bay Six
Guild: Aria

Re: second-based records

Post by BayTwoBaySix2 »

Minute based records are almost at the point where they can't be progressed, when the last few minute records are done you can just put them on a gravestone and call speed running in guild wars dead. A secondary (pun not intended) seconds based table would not discredit the achievements of the minute based records holders, they would always remain "the first" and they can still compete for the seconds based records to hold both the minute and second records if they want.

With seconds based records there would be less urgency to rush to take the records. I am not trying to take anything away from the record holders but as it stands the records do not necessarily represent the fastest or best time possible, it just shows the first person to obtain a time which then couldn't be beaten because of arbitrary constraints (/age implementation, anet ending mission instances at fixed time increments, whatever). This goes against what speed running is really about, "A speedrun is a play-through, or a recording thereof, of a whole video game or a selected part of it, performed with the intention of completing it as fast as possible."

You could argue that seconds based records could reach the same "gravestone" point, but it wouldn't be a good argument as this isn't realistic except for a few very short missions/VQs.

Befi
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm
In-game name: Befi Goes Ele
Guild: [hC]

Re: second-based records

Post by Befi »

whats the problem doing second based records?

Misty
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 am
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Re: second-based records

Post by Misty »

Flo is just lazy and doesn't want to let anyone else be mod
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

Befi
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm
In-game name: Befi Goes Ele
Guild: [hC]

Re: second-based records

Post by Befi »

then pls give mod to someone who will make the work , so ppl can still push any records they like to get
i love watching ppl getting new records :/

keaz
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:37 am
Guild: SenT

Re: second-based records

Post by keaz »

Befi wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:49 pm
then pls give mod to someone who will make the work , so ppl can still push any records they like to get
i love watching ppl getting new records :/
Just do it tbh , people should all start trying to get new record since second based time will come eventually and the fact that it's still not implemented yet is a joke and makes gwscr a joke , stop waiting for people who clearly dont care about speedclear future ( or too lazy) decide whats best for the community

Ether
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm
In-game name: Ether The God
Guild: Loa

Re: second-based records

Post by Ether »

why cant this site just turn into a leaderboard like speedrun.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests