[DS] UW: 39min - 3man

Submit your current-meta and all-time elite area records
Pepsi
In-game name: Julius Von Pepsi
Guild: Dhuum Stucker [DS]

Re: [DS] UW: 39min - 3man

Post by Pepsi »

I'm sorry, Barath - he's talking about me.

It's true. I still feel like the toolbox, as it is right now, should not be allowed in speedruns.
Why not a quick </report usage> that whispers if autopcons were active during the run, which dialoges have been sent, if Target Boo was used, etc.? I obviously can't make you do it, but I think it would solve so many problems.

I was asking about using the ID-bug manually by popping Minipets to prevent interrupts and the like - does it mean I am using that to cheat the system? Is anyone who ever asked about a rule suspicious to have used the very mechanic/tool he was asking about?

Back when the huge toolbox-discussion started, I was fighting for my belief - hours of talking on TS and writing on GWSCR, but as you might have seen, I realized that it's pointless arguing with addicts. I didn't point to the usage of autosweets in that 12min, or any other record that has been posted since then.
I let it go because I get that people don't want to cheat their way onto the leaderboard; however, that includes me (perhaps more than others).

One thought was not left my mind since then, though: I used to bring up with so many metaphors to explain why I think the toolbox (including autosweets) should not be allowed, but people said I have to come up with a game-related metaphor, which I could never find - until a few weeks ago.
In my eyes, a rupt-bot and autosweets are so similar that it's worth using it as the metaphor I was looking for, finally closing the chapter for me.
Both are stupid, both don't bring an actual time-advantage, both are 3rd-party-tools, both "can be done manually", etc - yet, both (? *insert discussion here*) are just wrong. Of course, I knew people will argue that it's totally different, but that's what a metaphor is: using a different topic to give a different view on a subject.
If you actually think, I am using rupt-bots or any other tools, after arguing about autosweets for years (which, as everyone is telling me, is not worth banning), I dont know how to change your mind - and I couldnt care less.

Anyway, I got it off my chest and I'm done arguing about it - people know how I feel; I just wanna play the game, I wanna push some times, I wanna get some records, but I dont wanna lose my mind about whether you play as I think people should or not.
My name will (hopefully) come up in a couple of record-screens and you have to decide on your own whether I am hacking the shit out of the game or not. Once I get my PC to records videos again, I'll probably deliver these, but the more people tell me I "of course [...] am trying to hide something", the funnier it becomes to me to not upload them in the first place.

PS: Would you also tell me which of these skills is supposed to interrupt a foe?
Last edited by Pepsi on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

well i made an edit, but i was just under the assumption that the term rupt bot was kinda vague. like a rupt bot rupts skills for you, whether thats with ur own skill bar, or auto attacking mobs. i never knew

Barath
In-game name: Arya Von Barath
Guild: [trip] (MY OLD LOVE) / [DS] (Gw1) / [Vs] (Gw2)

Post by Barath »

I used to bring up with so many metaphors to explain
thats exactly the point, i think ppl did not understand it, or they did not read it :lol:
did not see the rupt-bot topic either, but now as i read it, its kinda funny how pepsi just used the "i defend a rupt bot" thing just to offend the auto-pcons section and instantly some ppl think pepsi is using rupt bots, while he even wrote "I WAS BEING SARCASTIC". i guess ppl only read what they want to read :P

i guess if i would write now "i would use a rupt bot for testing purposes just to figure out how it works" ppl would just read "i would use a rupt bot" and hard-flame me :D oh yeah, gwscr <3

roflmfao
In-game name: Herr Der Felsen

Post by roflmfao »

I have no idea how the rupt bot example became "a thing" in the first place. It seemed pretty obvious that Pepsi had not been seriously suggesting that using a rupt bot (to consistently rupt 1/2 or even 1/4 casts) should actually be allowed, he merely wanted to point out that the same kind of arguments that are used to support autocons can also be applied in this case.* (ignore the footnote if you find the debate tedious)

The speed community in this game is very unique in that it decides not to distinguish between tool-assisted runs and those done "by hand". While it is very common for tools to be used in speedruns of other games (especially older console games), there is usually a clear split between records done "by a machine" and "by a real player".

* Technically, rupting a 1/2s skill can even be somewhat consistent by hand, and I'm sure we've all accidentally (or by prediction) hit 1/4s casts. So the bot wouldn't do something that's impossible without using a tool. Of course, it would always be purely based on luck when done by a human player, but arguably, all it does is eliminate some RNG. And most people will agree that autocons might save 1-2 seconds in the beginning of a run because everyone can start the run instantly without needing to pop any cons. What I find funny is that while it is also commonly argued that those seconds don't matter, quite a few record are in the :58/:59 area. Food for thought.

Hektor
In-game name: Nik Ele

Post by Hektor »

So much pd talk...
I see RIPs UW regency being challenged :D
GZ!

Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Post by Misty »

HOPEFULLY nobody actually thinks Pepsi cheated - my comment was obviously a joke, although maybe Rp's wasn't xD The reason suspicion arises is because you suggested that rupt bots are equivalent to the permitted features of toolbox. That was a rhetorical argument that toolbox automating your actions should not be allowed in records, but your screenshot proves that you changed your mind - perhaps because "if you can't beat them, join them"? Knowing the SC community, surely you must have expected some raised eyebrows for this?
Barath wrote:i would use a rupt bot
There we have it!!! Proof that Max ran up to mountains and wanded the behemoths for Pepsi - record denied. ;) ;) ;)

roflmfao wrote:most people will agree that autocons might save 1-2 seconds in the beginning of a run because everyone can start the run instantly without needing to pop any cons
most people? I certainly wouldn't agree... you can pop cons without wasting any time at all, even without toolbox - just use a hotkey, which is clearly approved by ANet (=
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

roflmfao
In-game name: Herr Der Felsen

Post by roflmfao »

Misty wrote:you can pop cons without wasting any time at all
Sadly, Misty is wrong :P

Nika
In-game name: Nika Iz Back
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Nika »

Im glad we have a ruptbot meme now :^)

Pepsi
In-game name: Julius Von Pepsi
Guild: Dhuum Stucker [DS]

Post by Pepsi »

Se yeah, ...
I did hope I dont have to write these lines but since several people also PMed me IG, I think I have to clarify why I used the toolbox in this run.
Reason 1: Im looking for a special Ghostly Staff and a special Eternal Shield and opening Locked Chests at range highly increases my chance of getting them.
Reason 2: Chat commads like /stuck, /resign and /useskill were extremly helpful since I did not install the software for my Keyboard thus leaving Macros unavailable.

Reason 3 - The big one: We did not plan to do the record in this run. We were thinking about casually doing some Trio UW, perhaps pushing for times at some point, but in this very run (the 4th attempt according to the Rocks in my inventory) wasnt supposed to break any records.

So basically, I didnt know we were about to upload this run which is why I did not turn the toolbox off. In future screens, I will probably have it not running - unless *fingers crossed* I can prove I did not abuse it by recording the run.

PS:
WTB Ghostly Staff Q9 Illu 20/20
WTB Eternal Shield Q9 +10vSlashing & -2wEnch

Jang
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Jang »

You are doing exactly what Kaspar said on the Rupt-Bot topic. Nobody forced you to post this record so if you really believe a record is cheated when toolbox has been used you could've kept this to yourselves.
However you decided to become a hypocrite by justifying an action you once tried to make illegal and gave reasons why its something different in your case. Guess what, it's not.

GZ on the record but I don't like your attitude.