Post by Vivec »

Content
  1. Introduction
  2. Download & installation
  3. Configuration & settings
  4. Capture
  5. Basic editing & upload
  6. F.A.Q.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction

This is a guide to show you how to use OBS Studio to capture your gameplay and ultimately upload it to YouTube or similar sites. It is intended for people who have no prior knowledge about such topics and if you have some knowledge about it you might want to skim over the passages you are already familiar with.

It will show you the following things:
  • How to download and install the capture software, in this example OBS
  • How to configure OBS to both locally record and stream to a streaming service (e.g. https://www.twitch.tv)
  • How to configure OBS to record in different resolutions encoding settings (yeah, this is Technobabble, i know) to lessen the impact on the rest of your system (this means: How to use it if your computer is shit)
  • How to capture both windowed and fullscreen applications and how to add different stuff (e.g. seperate timer programs or a webcam to the recording)
  • A miniature guide on how to do basic (tm) video editing (this is basically a "how to use movie maker to cut unwanted stuff from my video and add awesome music guide with not much depth)
  • Provide a place to ask about your problems with this so a solution can be found and everybody is able to record his or her gameplay

Vivec
In-game name: Ashra Vivec
Guild: Guardians Of Lost Tempel [Golt]

Download & installation

Post by Vivec »

This is a pretty straight forward part of the guide. The installation should alert you to any missing programs on your machine and provide you a link to download and install them. If you are not able to follow simple instructions to download and install something, I have bad news for you.

Download

1. Open https://obsproject.com in your browser
  2. Select your operating system
  3. Click the "Download installer" button or follow the provided instructions to get OBS to your system
Please note: I recommend for everyone to use the more current version of this called OBS Studio. There are some things that are missing from the classic OBS, for example the possibility to capture window title bars and borders. If you need such functionality, please inform yourself using google and the OBS forum for possible solutions.

Installation

I can only provide information for the installation on a windows system. If you have a problem with installing OBS on a nother operating system, please leave a post below and someone more knowledgable with installing on your OS will probably get back to you. If you need/want a faster solution, try to find your error in a search engine of your choice.
  1. Execute the downloaded file
  2. Follow the instructions of the installer
Yes, it is just that straightforward. Click "Next" until the installation is done. OBS should work without you restarting your machine and if you are missing any needed software for the installer to run properly it should alert you to that situation. If you do not understand an error shown to you for some reason, post below with at least a screenshot of that error so we may be able to help you.

After installing, please run OBS Studio at least once to make sure the installation ran properly and the program can be opened without further issues.

Vivec

Configuration & settings

Post by Vivec »

General settings
Local recording and streaming settings
Encoding settings
Audio settings
Possible changes for older systems

Vivec

Capture

Post by Vivec »

Scenes & sources
Filters
Actually record something

Vivec

Re: How to capture/record stuff (e.g. GuildWars) with OBS St

Post by Vivec »

placeholder #4

Vivec

Post by Vivec »

placeholder #5

Vivec

Post by Vivec »

placeholder for security reasons

Karia
In-game name: Karia De La Arcx
Guild: [Golt]

Post by Karia »

placeholder if six placeholders werent enough

Sakura
In-game name: Sakura Got Banned
Guild: hS

Post by Sakura »

nice tut

Eva is impressed
In-game name: Quarante Six
Guild: REV

Post by Eva is impressed »

I think Vivec no longer shows up, we should take over and another mod who never does anything like Nika or Marcin can edit it in to justify their green names. I can write two or three sections but I don't know that much more about how the software works since I mostly used to Fraps my videos and only streamed twice.