free toolbox? - discussion

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Libra
Guild: pRma

Re: free toolbox? - discussion

Post by Libra »

We are waiting for you

Falko
In-game name: Jayden Silada
Guild: UP

Post by Falko »

I haven't read the whole discussion - it's pointless anyway - but I love the idea of toolbox being open source. From a programmers perspective I am very interested in the code.

Hydro

Post by Hydro »

I haven't read everything here but I'd like to point out that there's a practical point of view. If you were to 100% ban all the records that used toolbox or other outside programs/macros, I'm pretty sure 90% of the current records should be taken down, which is just retarded.

Rocks4Free
In-game name: Marlana
Guild: DS

Post by Rocks4Free »

Hydro wrote:I haven't read everything here but I'd like to point out that there's a practical point of view. If you were to 100% ban all the records that used toolbox or other outside programs/macros, I'm pretty sure 90% of the current records should be taken down, which is just retarded.
Imo it is retarded to cheat a record ;)

Nika
In-game name: Nika Iz Back
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Nika »

These records weren't cheated, and you know that.
They used the toolbox, yes. I guess we should use common sence here. Standards were different, and are probably changing again, due to this discussion. People simply used the toolbox, without purposely gaining and time, they just were used to it.

Rocks4Free
In-game name: Marlana
Guild: DS

Post by Rocks4Free »

To repeat myself from another threat: Im not common with doa/fow records. But i followed last 14-uw-records. Both, DS (Luke's Team) and DaWn did a really good job and can be proud of their 14s.
BUT in at least the first two 14s in this meta it's a fact that some guys did it with toolbox.
Toolbox is in fact nothing more than a cheat-compendium. Regarding to this im a very hardliner and i've never used to cheat in any game. I just hate every kind of cheating.
I don't differ between (p)cons-popping or telehack ... to use toolbox is cheating for me in general.
without purposely gaining and time, they just were used to it
I can agree to that ... i think the majority of the guys who did the 14 weren't about to cheat a record. They probably are just used use toolbox.

BTW: I placed a smily in my last post :D

To be ontopic: idc, if toolbox or toolbox light (like a gwscr-proof version) should be free for everyone. gwscr should do everything against tools like toolbox or they will lose their whole credibility.

A small game, find the wrong word: legit, record, best of, honor, trust, toolbox)
;)

Jang

Post by Jang »

Spagh wrote:[*]A few words to people who basically said that if we banned toolbox, we should also ban Texmod & Timers.
Last time I checked, texmod was only indicating things to the player, I never experienced my texmod using my cons for me, nor enabled me to do things I wasn't supposed to. I see things such as 50% health and... Basically that's all. Now, what does really matter in a record run? Time. You need to know exactly when you are, where you are. People really need to know what's the difference between : indications, macros and hacks.
okay to me its hard to figure what excactly the non toolbox side wants (except for no toolbox in record ofc^^) because everybody brings up some personal moral which goes from chipotle who says fuck gwscr rules anet is the boss to some people basically saying unfair play is okay as long as its done the way it was done post gw.
example: using the scroll macros pre nerf mikes timer gave you to move your char to certain spots and scroll through doors is a legit way to save time but auto pcons isn't
example 2: knowing when urgoz doors are open with help of the timer to avoid fail hos at that hos bridge is okay but a consistant fast take of slayer by using toolbox is not (please don't try to come up with 'you can take q's with toolbox even if the reaper has already started fighting already'. yes you can. does waiting till he fights to take q with toolbox help getting the record? i dont think so.)

so what i'm trying to say is people are creating double standards for stuff they use themselves just because it gives them advantages in another way. but is the thing the matters really whether pressing a single button to pop full cons and pcons is better than switching auto pcons of toolbox on? i don't think so.
i personally would start saying it's not okay to do something if you can't do it with your hand but the way i mean it is less strict than the one of the non toolbox side. imo the question shouldn't be can you pop your pcons right when you have loaded or not but can you pop pcons yourself or not. and guess what: yes you can. and to bring toolbox in here too with a commong feature: yes spirit range on compass is okay because even if you wouldn't have it you could still pop up 2 times the same spirits right out of its range. however you can not target gitb yourself. you also can not tele to unpopped reapers or get to dhuum by just taking restore and doing wastes q.
so after all i think we should stop fighting. indications, macros and hacks is all the same (and imo all okay) as long as similar things are doable with just the game, a keyboard and a mouse
mods drew the line at the right spot which also is a fair compromise and we should rly stop arguing about it.

p.s. its probably the wrong topic for this kind of post but i felt like this was a good moment to share my view on differences (well more like why there aren't any important ones :P) of toolbox and timer/texmod

Libra
Guild: pRma

Post by Libra »

@jang

--------------> http://gwscr.fbgmguild.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=10
Libra wrote:You want a solution? Lol you should first explain a solution to what: in fact, 3/4 of the people here didn't really understand what the problem was. You only talk about your precious stupid toolbox and you come crying about your records...

So what's the problem. The problem is to draw a line between what is accepted and what is not.

Let's talk about the toolbox. The toolbox allows to automatically activate the UW quests or teleport to a ghost among other things. Toolbox or no toolbox this doesn't belong on gwscr. We shouldn't even discuss it. Why? Because allowing this kind of things is like allowing everything. For instance, the attribute hack is still possible, or else validate quests without even doing them is indeed possible (it shouldn't be limited to dialog ID). There are other ways to "cheat" and this doesn't stop with the toolbox or mike's toolbox. Anyone can create a toolbox, or even something quite more advanced if you know your stuff.

Recently we (the pRma), have found a way to gain 30s to 1min in DoA with a third party software. I would have liked to know how the fbgm would have reacted if we had used it for our 20 min (or 19).
What's the difference with the ghost? None.
The common point? Third party program.

I now hope that you understand what real the problem is. The auto Pcons is one thing, but the ghost teleport or the auto quest activation is another. Of course I'm against the auto Pcons, but it is up to us to draw the line not to cross.

To be sure that no one violates the rules, we do not have any choice but to ask for a maximum of videos. Otherwise being invited by a moderator seems to be a good idea.

btw jon comgree unistall ty

Cookieismyhero

Post by Cookieismyhero »

Jang

Jang

Post by Jang »

@ libra: yes that would have been a better topic to post this in but whatever its to late now.
@guywhohideshisname: if you were half as intelligent as you think you are you would have come up with sense making arguments why i'm wrong. however your reaction was nothing i didn't expect so congratulations on that pic but the idiot is you.