New Section

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

New Section

Post by Ether »

Add "full campaign completions" similar rules to the speedrun.com rules. Whether its factions, proph, nf, or all 4, having this would allow more ppl on this site to participate. I would like to see this site turn into something like zeldaspeedruns where its just speedruns for the game, not just speedclear records.

Cell

Re: New Section

Post by Cell »

Wouldnt that be hard to time properly though ?

roflmfao
In-game name: Herr Der Felsen

Post by roflmfao »

Start a new character, /age tells you how old it is after campaign completion. Just as (in)accurate as the timing that's being used for every other record on here.

Flo
In-game name: Hi Im Undercover
Guild: Golt

Post by Flo »

I am not really against it, but would someone actually post a run for that? Peaple asked for the exile records, and nothing happened... what makes you think it ll be different here?

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

while nothing has happened for the exile records, i feel like its a step in the right direction. id like to see more inclusion for gw speedruns in general on here, and i do have some interest in it myself. while rules would be an issue (timing with a 3rd party timer or just doing /age before every zone) i feel like we can come up with rules that are better than speedrun.coms version. they dont allow texmods or tb, which i can understand- but seeing as how we have different categories i think the same ruleset could be applied there. also as i said before, turning this site into something like zsr would be amazing. (where its gw speedruns, not just speed clear records)

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

This could be done. Making a new section is no big deal, I think the main issue is deciding rules and how to enforce them. I think there are two main points:

* How to time. Speedrun communities typically use external timers, since games do not provide in-game timer. GW SC community always used /age instead, and the main argument has always been that people shouldn't be forced to use a 3rd party timer. In this case I imagine it would be just like dungeons, except that we don't even need a starting screen (just use character /age).
Which one do we use? This is not just about minutes vs seconds, as map changes affect those differently.

My opinion: I think we should just use character /age, but if that is too much of a throw off for the speedrunning community, maybe we can allow both.

* Restrictions. Most "campaign speedruns" I've seen were made with the restriction of not using previous account-wide benefits, such as xunlai chest or unlocked skills. I think those make sense, but they might be hard to enforce. We would have to require a video of the full run (potentially multiple-hours long!) and someone to watch it, while checking skills bought at traders. That might be asking too much of Flo :)
Also, what about /bonus and fire imp?

My opinion: the run should be "as if" the account was brand-new. As for /bonus, I'm not sure. Do we really want to force people to buy the 4.99$ GOTY upgrade to be competitive? (Also, why is this even a thing? Same price, and only contains the imp, while the previous one has imp+bonus weapons)

Cruz
In-game name: Ashei Cruz
Guild: IT

Post by Cruz »

Of course video recording should be required, anything else would be absurd.

For timing, I think real time makes sense unless you want to rely on an autosplitter (I think kaos was making one?). If you're gonna use /age you'll just get people farming stuff under a minute and zoning.

With and without /bonus can be divided in categories.

Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Post by Misty »

How about a category for "as if new account", with no /bonus allowed, and another for no restrictions, allowing /bonus and access to the chest?
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

The thing about unrestricted access to the chest, is that the optimal way to do it is to pop full cons/pcons in every single area from the start to the end of the game, which is ridiculous, so it would gate the record to non-crazy-rich people, and/or make people feel bad for not being able to do it (as they're not playing optimally).

On the other hand, having access to inexpensive stuff like town speedboosts can be a positive improvement (and negates the advantage of doing the record during events).

Idk how I would balance it, though.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Let's have a vote :D :D :D

(jk, lets not)