Step 3: Who gets to vote + DRAFT

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Re: Step 3: Who gets to vote + DRAFT

Post by Misty »

Let's say I was on the 8-man pre-Dhuum UW record, but never made an account because GWSCR didn't exist back then... or I did 2 min SoO and didn't make an account because someone else posted the screens. I quit GW back in 2012 to play GW2, but I still check the forums pretty often to see what cool new stuff people have achieved. Sometimes I meet up with other GW1 veterans, talk to them about SCs, and link them to the record table, showing that once upon a time I did something great.
Now there's a discussion going on about denying my record because there isn't a video, even though the rules at the time didn't require one. Why don't I get to vote on this?

Scenario 2: Today I do a 19 min solo Urgoz, which is an impressive all-time record. I create an account on GWSCR to post it, but I don't get a vote.
Scenario 3: I've been a very active lurker but too shy to post more than 5 posts in the last two years, and although I have held many records, all of them have been beaten. I do not get a vote.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other scenarios where people are unfairly disenfranchised but I'll leave those to your imagination. Meanwhile, ISIS still gets a vote? o_O_o
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

imho everyone is allowed to vote

except ether.

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

shouldve left the first one up man :(

Flo
In-game name: Hi Im Undercover
Guild: Golt

Post by Flo »

@Misty
Szenario 1: Thats sad, but you re not a currently active member of the community.
Szenario 2: Thats sad, but you re unlucky. Will effect about 0-1% of the community.
Szenario 3: Thats sad, but you re not a currently active member of the community.

Feel free to come up with fairer thresholds that still prevent manipulation (see below).

@has
We cant do that. Then the vote would just be a matter of who can create the most fake accounts / can pm the most inactive people that have never even heard of sc but want to earn themselves some vitamin B.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Flo wrote: @has
We cant do that. Then the vote would just be a matter of who can create the most fake accounts / can pm the most inactive people that have never even heard of sc but want to earn themselves some vitamin B.
That's why we ask for ign+guild, so we can check the authenticity of suspicious ppl with the guild leader.

It can be done because there are so few SC guilds in this game, and you can't create a fake SC guild (noone knows about it = fake).

Also I doubt inactives will care enough to join the vote en masse. If they do care, then why should they not be allowed to vote?

So to correct myself, I guess the vote would be restricted to people who have a valid account in an SC guild, and 1 vote per person, not per account.

Btw, google form can force only 1 vote per person, but that requires login with a google account, dunno if we want that.

Flo

Post by Flo »

@has

See, you re just putting in different thresholds. So beeing a member of an sc guild is more important than actually doing scs and having records and or contributing to this site? You re just moving the problem around.

Inactives will care enough if they get influenced or paid enough to care. Pretty sure there are well over 40 people in my guild that have no intention to vote because they either dont care or just dont visit this site. I could ask them nicely to vote for what I want or even pay them and thereby influence the outcome of the vote significantly. They re members of a well known sc guild and should STILL not be able to effect the outcome of this. This NEEDS to be avoided, even at the cost of excluding some people that might deserve to vote.

Well, I guess everyone has a google (=youtube) account nowadays. So why not. If people dont care enough to create one, they probably shouldnt vote anyways.

Nika
In-game name: Nika Iz Back
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Nika »

Only those who actively put their opinions to show here on this site should be able to vote.

Why? because this shouldn't be a popularity contest where 90% of the voters thought 5min about the topic without really grasping the core issues and then just voting on shit depending on their liking.
Idc if michael from LGIT thinks it's important if he votes. but if he does - he better make an INFORMED decision.
Which is why i really like discussion threads where people actually read stuff.
Or, we mods exclude ourselves from the vote and fill out the form ourselves, including our arguments of why we came to a decision and then we have a popularity vote on which mod should be the deciding one :) this way people atleast read the arguments before voting.

And honestly, besides Ethers dumb troll from yesterday i trust everyone here enough to be mature enough not to fake votes. I mean what are we comming to? Sure a bit of control with the person + guild thing is good. But if someone manages to fake his alt account as his own, or pays some kamadan dummies. may karma find out about that.
Personal honor > some rules for a videogame 20 ppl care for :)

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Post by Ether »

Is there going to be a 'no answer' choice? Not everybody cares about certain rules

Flo

Post by Flo »

@Ether
I dont know if its possible to not answer questions in the google form. If it is not, we ll add a "dont care" / "dont have a opinion" option so you ll be able to follow switzerlands great example.

@Nika
I prefer to have something in place if people actually try to manipulate something and not trust everyone blindly.

I would have absolutely no problem with having my vote public (and would even think it is pretty helpful to have our reasoning written down), but since we re taking in community suggestions anyway I dont see the reason to not have our votes count.

EDIT 23.05.2017 20:47:
Changed some wording in the startpost, implemented most suggestions and better solutions.
Not yet implemented: Changing the order of videos / rules because there hasnt been too much input yet.

Flo

Post by Flo »

In the next days we ll transfer the questions to a google-form. We ll notify you once that is done and then again ask for feedback and improvements.

EDIT 28.05.2017 11:20:
Uh, soonTM. I wasnt home this weekend so I didnt get to do aynthing. ~Monday or Tuesday evening it will be done.