Speedclear tournament 2k17

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Re: Speedclear tournament 2k17

Post by Misty »

1. I agree with everything Has said.

2. Charging any sort of meaningful entrance fee will heavily discourage anyone who doesn't bot, powertrade, or DoA. I'm not sure exactly how, but there's got to be another way of raising some prize money.

3. Allowing any subs kinda defeats the point of the contest as I see it - isn't the idea to show who's good at multiple SC areas? It should be the same team right through. Also, the larger the teams are, the less teams will be able to form.

4. Why is there a bigger prize for elite areas than dungeons?! If anything, people who only do dungeons need the money more, and there's no reason to alienate them by saying their areas are worth less.

5. Notwithstanding point 4, IMO we should include more dungeons than elite areas. I don't know why you only put 5 there - sure, Slavers' is complicated to work out a time for, but Raven's is a very popular SC at least. If we're going to have non-meta quirks like Urgoz/Deep with less than 12 people, or even Jang's idea of reducing it to 6-man (I like that), then how about adding even more dungeons that CAN be run but aren't so common? That could make this a more interesting challenge of ingenuity.

tl;dr:
+1 Has, no entrance fee, no subs, same prize for dungeons as elite areas, add more dungeons
Last edited by Misty on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Just throwing an idea here, but it would be cool to do this tournament monthly with varying restrictions or rules, similar to pvp automated monthly tournament with each pvp flux. Could run in the last 2 weeks of every month, while using the first 2 weeks to decide the "flavor of the month" and take a little break. It would give everybody something to do which is different and less serious :p

About prizes, I think there should be only one, maybe for 1st/2nd/3rd place, and maaaybe a price for 1st place in elite-areas only and dungeons-only. Personally I don't care about the prize, but probably some do.

Jang
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Jang »

I like the idea of adding more dungeons and I changed my mind about letting this contest be up for a long time. What I would like to see is all dungeons except of fronis and all elite areas done in a short time so people don't try to go for perfection. I think this contest would be much more fun if it involves a lot of playing and not so much resigning.
Furthermore I liked has point system and I think incase some teams don't complete all areas we can give the teams that do a little point reward. However I did not like the 2 of each professions idea or whatever it was.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Jang wrote:However I did not like the 2 of each professions idea or whatever it was.
I don't think we should do it now, but it might be fun later, so I'll explain better: the idea is to do all areas without changing characters, essentially locking the primary professions of the team. It's interesting because some professions work better than others in each areas, and by locking them, you can play with 8man parties while forcing interesting choices, trade-offs and flexibility of the players. For example, you may want an ele for emo in uw/doa, so you need to find a job for the ele in fow. Fow likes derv spikers, doa likes mesmers, so you find a compromise/balance, or run manlyway doa or mesway fow, etc etc.

Jang
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Jang »

Misty wrote:4. Why is there a bigger prize for elite areas than dungeons?! If anything, people who only do dungeons need the money more
This is not an accurate assessment. The income from dungeons if you consider the expenses as well as the non existent fail rate is about equal to fow and uw. Nevertheless it's stupid to reward areas differently since, atleast from my understanding, the point of a tournament like this is to drag people out of their comfort zones.

Misty

Post by Misty »

yeah you're probably right - I'm just biased koz I do so much DoA =P the way I see it though, people who do UW and FoW have money to waste on cons and pcons, whereas dungeoneers obviously don't because they only pop a BU on each level xD anyway we're agreed that the rewards need to be equal, so yeah
Flo wrote:
Sadly, Misty is right.

Vivec
In-game name: Ashra Vivec
Guild: Guardians Of Lost Tempel [Golt]

Post by Vivec »

I'll most likely not join in because i'm still busy as fuck but I'd be willing to contribute to the prizes if this gets some entries.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Let's start this soon - cast your vote on party size here: http://gwscr.fbgmguild.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2010

Pokeball 2.0
In-game name: Doa Is Hard Boys
Guild: [Fett]

Post by Pokeball 2.0 »

Over all i like the idea, but i think that 3 weeks is quiet short for teams that want to do all 10 areas. I think 4 weeks are much better since you need to work on tactics as wel since it looks like this is going to be 6 man stuff.

Misty

Post by Misty »

You can work out all your tactics before the tournament starts, though. Some people want to decrease is to 2 or even 1 week, so good luck persuading them on 4...
Flo wrote:
Sadly, Misty is right.