the future of this page

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Mikelton
In-game name: Spirit Of The Beer
Guild: Guardians Of Lost Tempel [Golt]

the future of this page

Post by Mikelton »

yo guys

contemplating the activity on the site for the last weeks and still not having the admin visit the site since he (probably randomly) visited it last time in september ( i asked him to have a quick look on the site every 2-3 days cause of the mod change for example), i begin to think about wether this page still makes sense the way it is now.
we do not have an active admin to maintain the site or at least quickly execute what the community decides.
without an admin we cannot announce new mods who can deal with making this site/gw speed clear records in general more popular again. most things we decide wont have a chance to be implemented.

even if i am not the most active player/mod (well, actually i am....) i dont like how it looks at the moment.
so i wanted to ask you guys what you think about it and what we can do to change the situation (i was already talking to has about it a week or two ago but he can now present his ideas here to you)

greets

Mike

Ether
In-game name: Gate of Anguish
Guild: Loa

Re: the future of this page

Post by Ether »

have some1 else host it, thatd be the best option, or have the current admin give over admin powers to someone else

Vivec
In-game name: Ashra Vivec

Post by Vivec »

I already volunteered to help out on the technical side a bit, but there was no response to that as far as i know from the current admin.

Problem is, to migrate the current posts without a shitton of manual work we would need the help of the current admin anyways even if it were hosted by example has or whoever manages the fbgmguild.com site.

But as it looks right now that after 1.5 months the admin has gone missing again, changing to another forum seems like the only good solution. This could also go hand in hand with getting rid of the even more inactive GW2 section.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

I could create a new empty forum at some fbgmguild subdomain such as records.fbgmguild.com.

+ No ads
+ clean forum dedicated to gw1 records
- We can copy the current tables but we can't move threads, user accounts
- it would have to be something.fbgmguild.com domain which some may not like
- it would be a different theme

Overall I think it would be best to revamp this site. There just isn't enough new content to justify and fill a new forum. Best would be for the admin to care enough to nominate a new admin (not just mod) to fix the forum (if not remove gw2 section, at least move gw1 on top).

Nika
In-game name: Nika Iz Back
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Nika »

How about we ask the redditmods for the gw reddit for a sticky thread

Mikelton

Post by Mikelton »

i agree with has that it would be best to stay with this site if its possible in any way. i just dont know how we can contact the admin and when he will respond, possibly next week, probably in a half year from now...
i like nika's idea somehow, we could reach a broader community on reddit, yet i dont know much about reddit and barely use the gw subreddit myself so i'd be happy about any advice from the more regular reddit users.

Vivec
In-game name: Ashra Vivec

Post by Vivec »

The GW reddit community feels like the polar opposite of this one. So i really don't know if that would be a good idea and I would personally not like it.
Also: For more than one person to be able to maintain that sticky, we would either need our own mod on the subreddit or share an acc between mods to edit the table. This does not seem like an ideal solution.

If we contemplate of switching to another site altogether, maybe even an existing one I'd guess that speedrun.com would be the better solution. You can do IL (Individual level) runs on there as well, which would classify for all elite areas and stuff. The only problem I see is that you have to maintain any leaderboard for each area you want, meaning we would need a leaderboard for each dungeon and possibly would have to get rid of meme records (meaning mission records). There is also basic forum functionality and mods can be appointed like they could be on a forum like this one.

I'm not sure if the distinguishing between alltime and current meta records would be possible, but I feel like that would still be a better solution than to die on the gw subreddit.

Mikelton

Post by Mikelton »

btw does anybody have any contact to power? or at least knows something who could have contact to him? that would help us a lot!

Nika
In-game name: Nika Iz Back
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Nika »

"die on reddit".
Son do you have any idea? This started as a single guru thread!
Learn about your ancestors!

Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Post by Misty »

The existing GW subreddit community is so hostile towards SCs that it would make more sense to create our own GWSCR subreddit. I do like reddit, but I prefer the idea of using the FBGM domain, or far better, getting Power to grant someone else admin on this site. Does nobody have a way to contact him more directly?
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.