Misty's Proposal

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Misty's Proposal

Post by Misty »

This is a discussion we need to have before we can even consider making records seconds-based. It's 2016 and anyone can record - the quality doesn't have to be good.
In my opinion, every single person on the team should provide a video, or at least every split. Not posting a video at all is just inviting suspicion. So yeah, why are videos not required already?

On a related note, it would be polite and honourable, when you make a record post, to make a prominent mention of whomever is responsible for developing any special tactics you used. This is a community, and we should work together, rather than jealously trying to steal credit for ourselves.
Last edited by Misty on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

Jang
Guild: [SenT]

Re: requiring videos for all records

Post by Jang »

I don't think recording is a problem for anyone but uploading might be. The longest video I've ever uploaded was ~25 mins long and it took me like 8 hours. If I'd do solo doa or anything else that takes 1.30+ it'd take me 2 days or longer to upload it. Not everyone has your upload speed ;)

Kaspar
In-game name: Noobish Was Me
Guild: FBGM

Post by Kaspar »

You do realise that nobody is asking people to upload hd video, right? I mean, look at Assad's channel... (sry, but it's true m8)
Just make a 360p video with a super low bitrate.

Just make a video.

roflmfao
In-game name: Herr Der Felsen

Post by roflmfao »

I am also in favour of uploading a video of every player. Not just every split, every player. Many graphics cards have recording features built in these days, and for those that don't there's OBS for a free if not perfect solution. A decent investment of money could then also get you dxtory or Fraps (do people still use that?). Then there are plenty of Free options for rendering raw recordings (Handbrake / Shotcut) which both allow control over bitrate and resolution.

If necessary, I'm sure people would be more than happy to provide tutorials for using these various recording solutions. Upload speeds are still an issue, but as Has said, once you rendered a video down to 360p with a smallish bitrate, it shouldn't take excessively long to upload even a decently long run.

Befi
In-game name: Befi Goes Ele
Guild: [hC]

Post by Befi »

a list of problems: (pls dont post flames in here, just solutions)

what if there ARE problems with recording for some ppl?
( software errors, bad pc etc.?)

how about recording tutorials for ppl who dont know how recording works?
( even for the best / lowest settings and for rendering the videos if needed )

how to introduce the second-based records with the video?
( i think there are many ways, but lets look for the best opportunity )

how good has to be the quality of the video?

how about records which are on the table already and got no video?

do we have to puplish the video or is it enough to send it to a admin of gwscr?

if there are more problems pls correct me

we need solutions for these things

roflmfao
In-game name: Herr Der Felsen

Post by roflmfao »

1. As Has said, PCs are no longer bad enough to make recording impossible. Or if someone has a PC that bad, they can get one for a price that is low enough to no longer be unreasonable. After all, if you want to speedrun a console game you also need to buy a console. And a capture card. I doubt it's actually an issue for anyone whose PC is younger than 2005 or so. Software issues may exist, but considering the multitude of solutions out there, that could only occur on very exotic systems (unless of course, it's a cop out for people who don't want videos). I know of nobody who was unable to get OBS running on their machines.

2. Sure, such tutorials could easily be made.

3. I have just tried out rendering a 24 minute video using an open-source video editor. I added a timestamp overlay (much like in the GW2 video someone posted) and exported the file as 360p. The result was 140 MB in size, still recognizeable (though of course fairly ugly), and thanks to the overlay provided an exact means of measuring the runtime in seconds. It took maybe 30 minutes to finish the process while I was playing D3 on the same machine.

4. I'd say the 360p was decent enough quality to verify that I didn't use any cheats / hacks / splicing.

5. Old records would be kept and the new system would simply be added. So no mod would even need to go through old records (I guess they could if they wanted to), just add new records instead of replacing older ones. That would not be an increase in workload for them, either.

6. I'd say yes. FFS, finding a strategy is nice, and definitely takes dedication and effort, but so does executing them well. Eventually, tactics leak out anyway, and keeping them secret only makes it look insecure. I for one don't want a record just because nobody else knows a specific HoS spot or an interesting pull.

Maybe let me say this: Give it a try everyone. If it turns out that requiring videos and counting seconds does indeed herald the coming of the apocalypse, it's not like we couldn't undo that change.

Kaspar

Post by Kaspar »

Both amd and nvidia have put a video encoding asic on their cards starting from the 7xxx and 6**/7** series GPUs respectively. Those cards will produce 1080p@60fps without any problems.

Intel has put a video encoding asic on their CPUs as well starting from the sandy bridge architecture. That will produce 1080p@60fps as well.

If none of that applies to you, then you have to go with the x264 encoder and do everything on your CPU. In general, the more cores you have, the better you'll do, since x264 is optimized for multiple threads. You'll need a pretty strong CPU for 1080p@60fps, but any quad core CPU should be capable enough for 720-1080p@30fps. A dual core CPU should get you 240-480p since gw itself will run on a pentium III from 2001, and if you have a single core CPU then you're probably on a PC from 2000-2003 and could get an upgrade for less than 100$. If you can't manage that then I recommend you reexamine your life decisions.

Edit: poor wording
Last edited by Kaspar on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaspar

Post by Kaspar »

Most elite area current and all times aren't problematic. Timers are visible on screens and/or video is available for timing to be applied to it.

Solo uw only has /age and Zraw 17 screens are riperino. Solo uw is a non-issue, nobody will ever come close. We need to find screens or something of Zraw DOA though.

I haven't had time to check dungeons yet.

Cruz
In-game name: Ashei Cruz
Guild: IT

Post by Cruz »

Does anyone know Mike or someone else on their team and could get in touch with them about it? I'm sure someone still has a screen or two..

Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Post by Misty »

tfw Cruz has been offline so long he doesn't realise Mike (and half of the Zraw 17 team tbh) is in his guild
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.