wtb non retarded rounded down minute times

Post content relevant to Guild Wars. This includes, but is not limited to: screenshots, guides, tutorials, questions & answers, etc.
Treviya Calabas
In-game name: Treviya Calabas
Guild: hC

Re: wtb non retarded rounded down minute times

Post by Treviya Calabas »

and whats with the people who dont want to use 3rd party programms? also its not allowed by the eula to use 3rd party programms and you guys want to make the trust and the credability of records depending on such a tool which wont be "allowed" by anet? thats not right I think we should just keep the minute based records like mike already said its more impressive to see fully new tactics which improves a whole minute on an area then seeing some ppl running 24/7 with tactics they just take from a video from a previous run without even using their own brain to think of better tactics themselves. thats the spirit of guild wars.. its not that much about the players skill like in other games, its more about tactics and after the tactics are there the people with most skill can execute them. And if there are 2 different teams running and both achieve the record they should be fine with a tie. If not they can use their brain again and find new tactics to improve a whole minute. I think the race in gw is more a tacticrace then a skillrace or luckyspawnrace. It ever was and should stay like it is.

Vivec
In-game name: Ashra Vivec
Guild: Guardians Of Lost Tempel [Golt]

Post by Vivec »

K A O S Theory wrote:And does that team who puts in a significant amount MORE effort than your team not deserve the record? Is what we are trying to say I feel. I feel there is this environment in this community of tactics and ideas not wanting to be shared with the community due to feeling cheated if someone else gets the record with them. I can say that that type of mindset will destroy any community.
I disagree with you here. I've seen it happen in singleplayer games, and I'd hate to see it happen to GW records. There are people who put in a significant amount of time - sometimes even more than the actual runtimes - in testing new tactics and coming up with the bars and splits and stuff. Then they run until they can't see the fucking area anymore. And then someone comes along, sees the video and thinks: "Oh my, I have like 6 months of free time before I have to go to university, lets just take these tactics and I'll just put in some runtime, and voila, record!". This sucks for the guys who came up with the tactics in the first place. And no, it is not like we say person x came up with tactics y, thanks for that I appreciate your effort. People just post their runs and don't give a shit who came up with the tactics.

Also the question raised about requiring something that violates the EULA to even be able to attempt a record is something worth thinking about. No matter how small the risk, people would still risk their accounts getting banned and there are players that will not risk this so we are limiting our playerbase for records in that regard.

Befi
In-game name: Befi Goes Ele
Guild: [hC]

Post by Befi »

I disagree with you here. I've seen it happen in singleplayer games, and I'd hate to see it happen to GW records. There are people who put in a significant amount of time - sometimes even more than the actual runtimes - in testing new tactics and coming up with the bars and splits and stuff. Then they run until they can't see the fucking area anymore. And then someone comes along, sees the video and thinks: "Oh my, I have like 6 months of free time before I have to go to university, lets just take these tactics and I'll just put in some runtime, and voila, record!". This sucks for the guys who came up with the tactics in the first place. And no, it is not like we say person x came up with tactics y, thanks for that I appreciate your effort. People just post their runs and don't give a shit who came up with the tactics.
this is completely my opinion!

K A O S Theory
In-game name: N Op E
Guild: A Diff One From 10min ago

Post by K A O S Theory »

Vivec wrote:I disagree with you here. I've seen it happen in singleplayer games, and I'd hate to see it happen to GW records. There are people who put in a significant amount of time - sometimes even more than the actual runtimes - in testing new tactics and coming up with the bars and splits and stuff. Then they run until they can't see the fucking area anymore. And then someone comes along, sees the video and thinks: "Oh my, I have like 6 months of free time before I have to go to university, lets just take these tactics and I'll just put in some runtime, and voila, record!". This sucks for the guys who came up with the tactics in the first place. And no, it is not like we say person x came up with tactics y, thanks for that I appreciate your effort. People just post their runs and don't give a shit who came up with the tactics.
Again my argument above is still valid, were going in circles so at this point its a differing of opinion. If people have common knowledge of who discovered the tactics, more so that the creators made them publicly known by all at usage, than this would not be an issue.
Vivec wrote:Also the question raised about requiring something that violates the EULA to even be able to attempt a record is something worth thinking about. No matter how small the risk, people would still risk their accounts getting banned and there are players that will not risk this so we are limiting our playerbase for records in that regard.
Texmod is against EULA, GwDressUp is against EULA, mikes timer/toolbox timer that 95% of sc'ers use is against EULA, steam overlay is against EULA, please this is an argument ive had thrown at me so many times and idc to fight it again here... See here and here for arenanets official responce to third party programs.(And yes if we made a gw timer for this, It should be standalone from toolbox because tb of course breaks these policies, but thats an argument that shouldnt be had here, just wanted to address it so it didnt become a part of this argument.)
Last edited by K A O S Theory on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haskhasin

Post by haskhasin »

Still, you should not be required to run a third-party closed-source application just to be eligible for a record. Attaching a compiled Dll to Guild Wars takes a lot of trust.
(yes its me saying this, and thanks community for trusting me - whether you thought about it or not)

K A O S Theory
In-game name: N Op E
Guild: A Diff One From 10min ago

Post by K A O S Theory »

haskhasin wrote:Still, you should not be required to run a third-party closed-source application just to be eligible for a record. Attaching a compiled Dll to Guild Wars takes a lot of trust.
(yes its me saying this, and thanks community for trusting me - whether you thought about it or not)
Valid point but this only holds true for one solution (I would rather the timer be open src and the least amount obtrusive as possible) recordings is another and the simplest solution imo to verify. I know a counterargument is that everyone would have to record to verify, which is true but is that that big of a deal? Idk there are solutions to this

Kaspar
In-game name: Noobish Was Me
Guild: FBGM

Post by Kaspar »

In GW2 everyone submits video with timers added in on vegas or whatever rendering program was used. Timer starts the moment someone moves after loading in and stops the moment the objective completes. https://youtu.be/QQXP3dr_rBE Something like this.

Why have all this drama about 3rd party applications being needed for second based timing??? Just get people to record and upload video.

Misty
In-game name: ____ of the Owls
Guild: Illumination Theory [IT]

Post by Misty »

If we do implement seconds-based records, there should be a 30 day wait between making the decision and implementing the rule, so current record holders can prepare to defend their records. At the moment, there is no incentive to push past x:59, because the current rules, whether or not you agree with them, say that unless someone can shave off another minute, you can rest on your laurels. Some people have probably gone inactive, confident in the knowledge that their records are unbeatable. If a rule change means that is no longer the case, at least give them the respect of allowing them to find this out before someone else grabs their tactics and takes the record by going one second faster.

Anyway, what about old dungeon records? Most of them don't have videos, so we have no idea how many seconds were wasted on each level, but by the current rules, they are perfectly valid all-time records. Will they be stripped of their status simply because they didn't have the foresight to provide videos? Taking the 2 min Shards of Orr for example, it was pretty much 0:59, 0:59, 2:59, and I can agree that calling it 2 mins is ridiculous, but even 4:57 is impossible in current meta. Also, there are TWO 2 min SoO runs... one of them is probably a couple of seconds faster than the other, so the other should be deleted (even if it was the original one, which many would argue should take precedence).
That barely scratches the surface of problems with making dungeon records seconds-based, but it's some food for thought for those who are adamant on pushing ahead with this.

P.S. Greg please stop AFKing - I'm trying to PM you in-game
Flo wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am
Sadly, Misty is right.

Jang
Guild: [SenT]

Post by Jang »

I think before we make up all kinds of rules for this change we should begin with a poll. Maybe the mods can create one in a new section you need to have access for and give everyone access on only 1 account so we don't have the same problem as the last few polls again.

Flo
In-game name: Hi Im Undercover
Guild: Golt

Post by Flo »

Havent you ppl learned from Brexit?